Indian Turmeric Tofu & Wild Rice
Posted on 02 September 2016
You may wonder, what is turmeric good for. Turmeric has recently been hailed for its anti-cancer properties and this is just one of the reasons cooking with turmeric powder is said to have many health benefits. Mix it in with some colourful vegetables, tofu and wild rice, and you’ve got all your major nutrients covered in one of the healthiest – and tastiest – turmeric recipes imaginable!
TURMERIC TOFU & WILD RICE INGREDIENTS
For the rice and tofu:
120g wild rice
280g tofu (1 block)
medium to firm
¼ teaspoon turmeric powder
1 teaspoon soy sauce
For the vegetable stir-fry
1 teaspoon coconut oil
1 small onion, long thin slices
½ clove garlic
¼ tea spoon himalayan salt
150g red and yellow peppers, chopped
80g broccoli, chopped
2 tablespoons soy sauce
- Place the tofu on a kitchen towel to soak up excess water for 5-10 minutes.
- To cook the wild rice, boil the rice and water in a pan on low heat for around 40 minutes until the rice grains are soft and cooked.
- While the rice is cooking, chop the tofu in small cubes and place in a separate pan on low heat so that they become slightly brown.
- Add the turmeric powder and soy sauce to the tofu after 5-10 minutes, sprinkling over all the tofu pieces, and turn the tofu so that all the sides become brown, careful not to break them. You can start the vegetable stir-fry while the tofu is still cooking.
- Place the coconut oil and onion slices in a large pan and let this cook on low heat for a few minutes before adding the chopped or grated garlic.
- Once cooked, add the peppers and broccoli and stir.
- Let this cook for 7-10 minutes before adding the cooked rice.
- You can now stir in the soy sauce and add the tofu.
- Serve with a slice of lime and a sprinkle of coriander and black pepper.
Tips: Soaking the rice in water for an hour will reduce the cooking time.
The original article was published on ELUXE Magazine.
© Photo via ELUXE Magazine